Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Flat tire blues



Big Bill Broonzy playing "Hey Hey" in 1957. 

Recently I had a flat-tire and was in a real pinch. I pulled into the first service station I saw and asked if I could borrow the air compressor.  It was my good fortune that two gentlemen inside the garage filled the tire, found the leak (a screw), and plugged it.  I was on my way in five minutes.   What does this have to do with Big Bill Broonzy?  Good Time Tonight, the Roots & Blues  Broonzy collection was playing on the car stereo when the older mechanic jumped in to roll the car forward while the other fella looked for the leak with some soapy water.  The man behind the wheel heard the music and asked, "Is that a black guy?", and then followed with "that's real old blues isn't it?"  It seemed he had never heard anything like it was clearly enchanted.  Understandable.  I promised him a copy and will be dropping it off tomorrow. 

Big Bill Broonzy Interviewed by Studs Terkel
The Studs Terkel interview with Broonzy is available from Smithsonian Folkways.

 Broonzy's 1955 autobiography.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment