Sunday, May 13, 2012

Mom

Mom

From Earth Wind & Fire's 3rd album Last Days and Time (1972).  The clip is part of a longer performance from Ellis Haizlip's, SOUL!  broadcast on January 10, 1973.  The program ran on WNET from 1968 to early 1973 when the newly elected Nixon administration ushered in a change:

"But the January 1969 transfer of presidential power from Lyndon Johnson–whose administration had created PBS–to Richard Nixon meant a new set of priorities for public broadcasting. By the end of 1972, CPB officials had deemed black shows such as Soul! hindrances to racial progress. Haizlip was given a choice: integrate Soul! or see it cancelled. The last episode aired on March 7, 1973."
Do yourself a favor and check the embedded links to the archived SOUL! episodes.  A number of episodes may be watched in their entirety.  An absolute apex in African-American cultural and political consciousness and expression.  Dig it.

Ellis Haizlip and Amiri Baraka


Studio version of Mom.
Youtube post features the following comment:
"Im crying got dammmit...cant a grown man cry thinking about his momma."
"Mom"
Mom, the words of love
She gave me peace and love
She gave me thoughts of love
Yeah yeah yeah
Mom, pains and joy
I love her more and more
To her I'm still her boy
Yeah yeah yeah
And in my life I've always dug her
And in my life I've always needed her
The mom I know I love so well

Mom, her face is still the same
She never seems to change
Her love still remains
Mom, the love she gave I love
She taught me right from wrong
She shared and kept me strong
Yeah yeah yeah
Mom...mom...mom

No comments:

Post a Comment